Thursday, March 22, 2007

my 06 honda civic si and notchy shifting; fixed ...maybe...

well, i've had my civic si since last april and since having her (got her w/4 miles..)  have noticed a slight notchy feel when shifting 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd.  also noticed downshifting from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 4th a similar prob.  well, i headed over to good ole temple of vtec (http://vtec.net) and the forum boards for the civic and found that others w/the 06 si had similar probs.

one user decided that he'd try to change his mtf using a synthetic Amsoil Synthetic Transaxle Fluid.  he found that his tranny was actually over filled and by replacing the mtf the notchiness was almost gone. 

so today i went to my dealership (luther hopkins honda, http://hopkinshonda.com ) and had them do the change.  at first they were worried it may violate my warranty terms by using a non-Honda mtf, however after realizing i had an si w/the 6speed he apologized and got er done.  btw, i give props to my dealership for the easy buy, great service (have a very nice lounge area w/free wifi, tvs, couches and are open till 1am m-th).

i instantly noticed a difference.  my car seemed to run much smoother and w/more power.  the notchiness appears to be gone from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.  downshifting does not seem like its a chore, nice and smooth.  i almost wonder if my tranny was overfilled too.. nonetheless things seem to be much better.  i'll post an update after this weekend (gonna be 60s and sunny, gotta cruise around!).

previously, i had the rev hang problem  but was lucky enough that my car's vin was included in the ECU update, that problem nearly non-existent for me now.  so it seems my si may now be running at 100%.  the SRI sounds sweeter and sweeter each 100 miles i put on, i've been tempted to perhaps to a header change or exhaust but we'll see how hard it is to do.  i figure after i pay vicki off, i'll think about doing turbo but till then, no turbo.

btw my baby, vicki;





check out my si videos over at youtube including my civic si navi startup screen hack guide (based on guicide/bysin hack, my guide):

No comments:

Post a Comment