Tuesday, September 27, 2011

quick look: Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet (Honeycomb) and Pen (pics)

I love Fedex; they make almost every week feel like Christmas week. Today I finally received my back-ordered Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet and Pen. This is my first Honeycomb tablet and I'm very excited to see how it compares to the iPad, Playbook and Gingerbread tablets I've used previously. Keep reading for the geek pr0n (including comparison pics next to an iPad 2 and Playbook).



Ok, I'm still on my mythical search for a tablet that can replace my paper notepads I carry to meetings.  The Lenovo Thinkpad is an Android Honeycomb tablet (running 3.2 at the moment) that also has an active digitizer built-in (similar to the HTC Flyer) that allows for pen precision and note taking.  So far the handwriting apps are working pretty well, better than most tablets I've used running Windows XP Tablet Ed or Windows 7.  For now though, let's just take a look at the hardware!



Thinkpad and the Pen - Ntrig based digitizer



Thinkpad front view, notice the actual hardware buttons! nice click to them!



Thinkpad back, uses the same soft velvet rubber that their Thinkpad laptops and Win7 tablet pcs use.  Also, notice the spot for the pen.  Pen is extra though and not included w/tablet.



What is this? A USB port? It sure is! You can use it to connect an external harddrive and other devices. I am not 100% sure what other devices you can attach.  I'll find out soon enough!



On the bottom, there is a flap that opens that reveals the full sized SD card slot and also a SIM card slot. Hmmm, I don't remember ordering a 3G version so I may try either my AT&T or T-Mobile Sim card to see if it is active or not.

Group Shots:



A thickness comparison shot (artsy styled) of a Playbook, Thinkpad, iPad 2 (left to right)



The three tablets stacked on each other to show the size differences.  The Thinkpad Tablet is definitely bigger than the iPad 2 in length and thickness. Weight doesn't seem to be that much heavier.



Final comparison shot of three tablets with the Thinkpad in the middle.

Check back in a few weeks for a full review of the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet. I have a feeling it could be up with the iPad 2 in terms of quality and usage! I will also have a video demo of the pen and handwriting recognition too. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Vivek5:26 AM

    Thanks for the comparison shot between this and the ipad. I'm currently debating between the two -- The ipad seems like it would feel nicer, but I'd love to have pen support and not bother with jailbreaking.

    Are you able to run/charge the thinkpad tablet with the screen on via your laptop's usb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi vivek

    yes, you are able to charge via the screen on via the laptop's usb but its a VERY LOW charge and basically just keeps the charge at where its at when you plug in. i am able to charge via the laptop usb and the screen off in a low charge mode. battery life has been pretty decent on the Thinkpad Tablet compared to the galaxy tab i previously had. i have yet to do a full side by side power/battery comparison w/the ipad.

    today, i ran pandora over WiFi for about 4 hours and used about 25% battery. i was also using the TPT to take some notes and also checking my corporate email too. thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is the "touch" feeling of this case ?

    thanks

    Seb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remarkable posting, We are viewing back frequently to look around for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. templates website free1:27 AM

    I’ve bookmarked, Dugg, and I joined the RSS subscription. Thanks! .

    ReplyDelete