Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Sony Playstation 4 and the new Media Player.. Getting ALL Twonky videos to work!

I'm a PS4 owner and have been waiting forever for DLNA support on our PS4s.  Sony announced and released the Media Player just yesterday to all of us for E3.  Nice move!!

However I noticed initially I had some probs with movies not streaming from my Twonky server.  Let's chat about my setup and what I did to get it working.





My setup includes a Twonky Server 7.2 running on my Lenovo ix4-300d NAS.  Most of my media is in m4v, x264 and aac/dts passthrough files.  the PS4 media player does not show support for DTS so a lot of my media comes up as 'Cannot play the media' error.



My solution is to have Twonky transcode the movie so it won't be sending a DTS audio signal but hopefully a stereo AAC feed.  In my NAS's Twonky Configuration screens, I went into Sharing >  Media Receivers.

Then find your PS4's IP address in the list.  Twonky for me chose PS3 as it's profile to use however the PS3 is a bit limited in DLNA streaming it seems.


Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I used the generic: Sony Bravia profile?

It seems by using this profile, I can now play all of the media I previously could not.  I believe my Twonky server ends up transcoding my stream but I'm not able to verify this via any of the RPC commands for Twonky.  Nonehtheless, give this a try and let me know if this works for you too!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment