Monday, May 02, 2016

The MINI Cooper Coupe... future rare MINI?

Hello my friends.  Today's post is going to be a more thought, speculative based and of course MINI Cooper Coupe related.  I've had my R58 Bonnie for nearly 2 3/4 years and have enjoyed everyday with her.  She's been a fun car to just go for a cruise in and just reflects my personality so well.  I'm unique, small and loud, hehe. :)

This last year, 2015, marked the final year of production of the MINI Cooper Coupe (R58) and Roadster (R59) models.  These models were introduced and released in very late 2011/2012.  Sales for both models have not been very good but honestly I don't think MINI expected them to be.  I still believe that the Coupe especially was more a research and brand/tech test bed for MINI.  Most car blogs ridiculed the Coupe for it's 'backwards baseball cap' roof line/design and complained about it being only a two seater car.  Wait, these are car blogs?   No, what MINI gave the world was a proper R56 drivers car in Coupe form.  It took the R56 formula but added more street and race car to the mix.  The Coupe and Roadster do not handle like a hardtop cooper.  I've driven the latest F56 JCW versions at the Indianapolis 500 speedway at the Miles Ahead Motoring school and a few R56 loaners.  The Coupe is lower to the ground and of course less top heavy.  Weight distribution is even more balanced and stability is further enhanced by the fact that the coupe still has the rear brace bar that the roadster has; ie even tighter chassis.


No comments:

Post a Comment