Friday, April 27, 2018

OSMC and the new NESPI Case with safe shutdown and getting it working with a script and service! Verified!!

Yea, i'm a sucker for the Raspberry Pi3 these days and using them as mini media servers and retro gaming consoles. I had originally gotten the NesPi case that had both power and reset buttons but the buttons were hard power offs/resets vs an os initiated reboot/shutdown.  Hard powering off/resetting a raspberry pi running can correct the sdcard and basically make it not boot and require one to do the full re-install.

Enter the new NESPi case by RetroFlag (amazon link, i do not make anything on these! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRHDVTN )






However after buying my NesPi case, I realized I am running OSMC vs RetroPie or Recallbox.  I initially tried using both the scripts that RetroFlag created in OSMC via putty/ssh but neither worked due to the linux distro of OSMC being diff than those two.  So I then attempted to use the MSLDigital scripts I had used for my RemotePi module since it seemed they were using the same GPIO pins on the board.  After about 2 hours of rebuilding my OSMC setup (kept putting my osmc build into a reboot loop upon reboot), i decided that script was a dead end no matter what tweaks i made.

Finally, i ran across a script by Rern on the OSMC forums, full/original post here and full props to them for this.  I have modified this to work w/the power button in OSMC and if you have added RetroPie it will savemetadata before the shutdown.

I use putty to SSH into my pi. Here are the steps. (link to actual code page: https://gist.github.com/seamonkey420/8810318ba9c91dc238771c2459effce4 )


--You can also create seperate service so that the reset button will then reboot the pi too. Just change button 3 and use resetbutton.py and resetbutton.service and be sure to ref .py script in the .service file. ;)









No comments:

Post a Comment